Tuesday, March 22, 2011

About Weight Watchers online

So, here is my opinion of WW online after ~2 weeks.

Mostly, I love it. Their new Points Plus system is great, and I love that I can eat fruit without sacrificing points (one of the issues I had with the old point system). The recipe builder function is great! There are a few changes to that I would make, but all in all I LOVE that I can take any recipe I want, plug it in and know how many points it is. Additionally, the system saves it for me, so I don't have to waste paper printing it out or space saving it. I have started adding my favorite recipes here and there so that I can eventually have them all in the database.
I also love, love LOVE that I can track points from my phone! This makes it so much easier to keep up! I can do it while I sit and wait for my lunch to heat up, or at an appointment in the waiting room, etc. Having it online is SO much easier. No writing things down, no calculating the points myself! It's more accurate, cheaper and better.
NO MEETINGS!!! I LOVE this aspect. I HATED meetings! I hated going, and I hated paying so much each week. The online works out to about $5 a week, which is 1/2-1/3 less than going to those meetings, and I don't have to go sit with other people and talk about how fat we all are.
(caveat- I know that MANY people love the meetings, and get a lot of help and inspiration from them. I am glad for this. It just isn't for me. I have a lot of shame associated with my need to lose weight, and it is lessened if I don't have to talk about it to others. I didn't tell anyone but my finace (and now you, of course) about my 3 pound loss. I have only told 3 or 4 people that I am even on Weight Watchers. SO, hopefully that will help you understand why I hate the meetings. If meetings fill a need for you, I am glad. For me, they add anxiety and shame to a situation that already has enough of both!)

So, just in case someone at Weight Watchers is reading this and needs some pointers, here is what I think are the cons:

1- No Meal Planner- Before the new PointsPlus sytem, there used to be a tool on their website where you could plan out your meals weeks in advance. I LOVE this. It really helps me stick to my diet. If I know what I am eating, I don't have to stand in front of the fridge, or run through the drive through, etc. I can make sure I don't use too many points during the day so I have enough for dinner, etc.
I wrote them and asked why they took it away. They said it was because of the Points Plus system. I have NO CLUE what one has to do with the other, but I would love them, and hug them, and name them George if they would figure out a way to put it back.

2- They have many articles on their site about weight loss, healthy meals, etc. This is NOT a con. This is a PRO! However, often times they will have recipes in these articles. Most of the time, these recipes do not have the points per serving value included, and they are almost NEVER in the recipes section of the website. This means that if I want to use this recipe, I have to retype everything from one area of their website to another area of their website just to know how many points it is, or to make sure it is available to me at a later date when the article may have been archived. I wrote them about this too. I suggested that they input the recipes before they post the article. I have not received a response on that one.

3- The mobile site (for access on phones) does not allow you to add foods that are not in the database. Therefore, if I eat something and want to track it but it's not in their tracker, I have to remember to go back later and do it when I am at a PC. Also, you can't track your weight. So, if I am not near a PC on my weight entry day, I have to wait until I am. I am not sure how/if this can be added, but it would be super if they could do that!

So far, that is all I have in the way of beefs with this program. The price is great, the resources are top notch (with the eception of the above listed), and it has really helped me stick to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment